Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8: Super wide-angle zoom lens
Nikon has unveiled the Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 wide-angle full-frame zoom lens for the Z mount.
Nikon says the Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 lens covers the size of a full-frame sensor and combines the versatility of an ultra-wide angle of view with the benefits of fast aperture, delivering high image quality in low light and beautiful bokeh.
The optical design of the Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 consists of 13 elements in 11 groups, including three aspherical lenses, two low dispersion (ED) lenses and one super-low dispersion (Super ED) lens.
The lens uses an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism of 9 rounded petals. Aperture varies from F/2.8 to F/22. The minimum focusing distance is only 19 cm.
For autofocus, according to the manufacturer, a fast and quiet stepper drive is responsible. It is also reported that the Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 lens has almost no “focus breathing” effect, and also allows you to smoothly adjust the aperture without clicking. All this makes the lens universal for both photo and video.
Nikon claims that thanks to its internal focusing and internal zoom, the latest Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 lens does not change in size, and therefore can be mounted on electronic stabilizers without additional adjustments.
The main characteristics of the Nikkor Z 17-28mm F / 2.8 lens:
• Designed specifically for Nikon Z mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
• Most likely based on the Tamron 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046), which was introduced in June 2019.
• Like the Nikon Nikkor Z 28-75mm 1:2.8 model, this lens does not belong to the Nikon Nikkor Z professional line of the highest quality Nikon Nikkor S (S-line) lenses.
• Relative aperture: 1:2.8-1:22
• Focal length: 17-28 mm
• MDF: 0.19 meters by 17 mm, 0.26 meters by 28 mm
• The maximum magnification ratio is 1:5.2
• The optical design consists of: 13 elements in 11 groups, with 2 ED (Extra Low Dispersion) elements, 1 SUPER-ED and 3 aspherical elements. The optical scheme repeats Tamron 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046).
• SIC (Super Integrated Coating) coating + some lenses have N (Nano Crystal Coating) coating + protective coating of the front lens.
• Electromagnetic diaphragm with 9 rounded blades
• Focusing with STM stepper motor, internal focusing
• Filter diameter: 67 mm
• Additional programmable control ring
• Protected case + protective enlightenment of the front lens
• Weight: 450 grams.
The Nikon Nikkor Z 17-28mm F/2.8 lens will go on sale at the end of October 2022 for $1200.
Already available for pre-order on Adorama.